Our golf course originated in 1910 as the Middle Brook Golf Club, a six hole course located on Stark Avenue in Dover. Extending toward Sawyer Mills, the greens were enclosed by fences to protect them from wandering cattle.
In 1921, property was purchased from the Labbe family and a new course was built on the site of the Labbe farm. Cochecho Country Club took its name from the early Dover name meaning “rapidly running water.” Shares were purchased by interested and enthusiastic people who lived and worked on the Labbe farm. The farmhouse, located on today’s first tee, was used as a temporary restaurant before it was demolished. The barn was converted to a clubhouse. It was destroyed by fire in 1929.
Shortly thereafter, the present clubhouse was rebuilt on the same foundation. There were excellent tennis courts on the site of the present pool, a croquet court on the sit of our practice putting green and a summerhouse sited between the two. Members enjoyed a bowling alley with three alleys and a lighted putting green to the left of the women’s 4th tee.
Potluck suppers were enjoyed twice a week. Dancing followed one night a week if weather permitted, as there were no windows on the porch in early days. Members took turns serving on supper committees. Suppers were a family affair, mothers setting the tables erected by fathers who spent afternoons on the course. The children folded napkins and sometimes fetched water in pitchers from the well to the right of tee. They were rewarded by being allowed to dance for an hour to music of the Marduis Orchestra before being sent home to bed.
In 1966 the new nine was opened. Many outstanding guest golfers have enjoyed Cochecho, including the notable Jane Blalock who established a record 67 in 1968.